Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Marvel of German Efficiency


1973 From Paris to Frankfurt  
During the winter of 1973 Jean-Jaques went for a 2-week international banking training in Bad Homburg, Germany. My cousin Letty and her husband Will with their small daughter were stationed near Frankfurt about 30 miles away. We fancied the idea that I would take a train trip with the boys, #1 almost 3 years & #2 a toddler, to visit my cousin. Will, an Air Force pilot, was gone during the week. It would be a cousinly visit between young mothers. Both Will & J.J. would join us for the weekend, and then the Darcys would take the train back together to Paris. It looked like a good plan. 
I was on my own for the “aller”* part of the trip. Luckily #1 was talking, trained and, except for running into the street or otherwise escaping, he was pretty easy. #2 was talking some and walking pretty well, but he certainly was not trained. A stroller was not needed, so all I had to worry about were a couple of large suitcases. I had to pack heavy, bulky clothes for the season and diapers. Back then, the diaper-thing was still pretty primitive, but no one had to travel with cloth diapers anymore. We had these long, thick, throwaway pads. They fitted into a diaper-shaped piece of thin white plastic, secured by ties at the sides. This part could be washed, dried, reused, or thrown away whenever. These “disposable diapers” were less than ideal, but, at least it made traveling more feasible. With only the 2 suitcases, 2 little boys, plus winter coats & a large handbag I thought I’d done a dandy job of simplification. 
Without J.J. the train trip was a big undertaking. A kind neighbor dropped us off at la station Maisons Lafitte where we caught the commuter train to Gare* St. Lazare, Paris. From there we took a taxi over to Gare de l’Est where we boarded a long distance night train for Frankfort. J.J. had purchased our tickets in advance & reserved 2 couchettes,** one for me & one for the boys. We were to arrive at Frankfurt Haupbahpnof (central train station) at about 9 o’clock the next morning. From there we were to take a suburban shuttle to the small town where our cousins actually lived. Thus far, I had had ample time to load & unload luggage and kids. We settled easily into our compartment for the night. #1 conked out after an eventful day, as did #2, who was freshly double-diapered and ready for the long night. 


The next morning when we awoke I gave the boys a few kiddie cookies, and bought them vanilla yogurts on the train. #2 already had the distinct odor of ammonia, but after his breakfast he turned positively ripe. At that point I had no time to clean him up. I had to think and move fast, or we would miss the connection to the Frankfort commuter train.  Down came the suitcases & on went the coats, as I hustled the boys to the proper quay. We barely made it. Once in route I nervously read & counted the station names. The boys, feeling jolly after their nice breakfast, were on their feet visiting the other passengers. I cringed thinking of “stinky” so close to the pristine Germans. Before our stop came up I placed our affairs near the automatic double doors. When the train stopped I  swung into action. I wrestled the suitcases down the steep steps onto the quay. Quick as I could, I turned to fetch the boys. Suddenly, the comptroller blew the whistle, the doors shut tight, and the train moved out. I stood helplessly watching as my precious charges rolled away into the German countryside.
About that moment Letty met me looking puzzled. “But, where are the boys? I thought they were coming, too.” Feeling pretty foolish, I explained. We alerted the station master right away, who said not to worry. He had already been informed of what had happened, and that the kinder (children) were being cared for by the comptroller. We could fetch the boys in an hour on return shuttle. Letty had nothing but praise for German efficiency. She assured me, “They probably guessed you needed a coffee break.” Embarrassed & miffed, I thought to myself, "At least, while I'm smelling fresh coffee, that super efficient comptroller is smelling #2." 


*Aller - to go; a round trip is an "aller et retour."
**gare - large train terminals; derivative: garage.
*** couchette - sleeping berths that fold against compartment walls for day travelers


Note: There were no rollers on suitcases.

1 comment:

  1. We made a lot of trips without a second thought. We didn't have the constraints that young parents have today & no one was around to discourage us. We were absolutely fearless. Now I blush to think of some of the things we did. Confidence of youth? I'm so glad to share our foolhardiness with you. Thanks for joining my blog.

    ReplyDelete