Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Dance Club

And the last shall be first....


I used to say of #7 that no one could rain on his parade. He was such a happy child that when his 3rd grade teachers sent home an "underachiever" note, his response was, "I'm just an average student." He was sure smart enough to dream up this excuse, but it wasn't convincing enough to prevent him from being properly remediated. Nevertheless, he maintained his carefree attitude about life and still made time for his pleasures. One late afternoon, early in the fall term when all sorts of activities and school organizations are gearing up, I found #7 snacking in the kitchen. He said, "Mama, I would like to join the Dance Club." I was mildly surprised because I didn't know that there was such a thing in elementary school.  Also, I didn't know that #7 had a such a strong desire to dance. He went on to say that he didn't know when it would start, but he had heard that there would be a meeting for the parents first. When he found out he would tell me.  I left it to him to let me know. Then, he said that it would be on Wednesday night at 6:30 in room # 116. From then on he dropped me little reminders just so I wouldn't forget.


Five minutes before the meeting I threw off my apron and drove to the school. I walk briskly to room #116. I found the door open & the meeting apparently underway. I acknowledged the principal who stood by the door. She was a handsome plus-plus sized woman somewhere in her late 30's. With look of surprise she flashed a toothy, insincere smile. "Oh Mrs. Darcy, come in and have a seat." I sat down quickly. How could I already be late? Settling in I gave my full attention to the speaker as was my habit in grad school.  It seemed that there was a project for raising money to buy computers for all the classrooms. I had the impression that the discussion had already been launched at some previous meeting. 


So far only men had spoken. Were there any other women besides the principal & myself? I checked: no, there were not. These men were obviously passionate & committed. On and on it went. The more I listened the more partisan I became. It seemed like a silly idea: so much money for machines that kids would only misuse and fill with viruses.  Since there was one computer brand that kept being mentioned, I was sure there was graft. The sums were huge. Or were these guys just fantasizing? I listened almost an hour never uttering a word. This wasn't my business. But, why wouldn't these guys just hang it up and get on with setting up the Dance Club? My patience was beginning to fray. It was obvious that these guys had only one thing on their agenda. 


And then, it suddenly hit me. This wasn't anything about a Dance Club. I had intruded in on the Dad's Club! It struck me as wildly funny. I broke into uncontrolled laughter. The Dads turned to me in shock. I said, "I'm so sorry. I thought this meeting was for organizing a Dance Club. It's a misunderstanding. I'll be leaving."  Sweet-as-pie, they begged me to stay on. I left forthwith laughing all the way back home.  #7 Didn't understand why I was laughing as I gave him the disappointing news. However, #7 took it well. As I mentioned, no one could rain on his parade. 





No comments:

Post a Comment